My hair is probably the thing I take the most care of. It’s always dry on the tips and greasy on the roots; therefore I have learnt from a young age to take good care of it.
There are plenty of different advices on the internet when it comes to healthy hair and unfortunately, everything is not always good to try. Trust me, I have tried a lot of things to make my hair healthier, sometimes it was for the better, sometimes for the worst !
I spent a lot of money in products that were supposed to be a miracle for my hair (yes, I’m that naïve) before I realized that the most effective things I could do were just good habits to take most of the time.
5 Tips for Healthier & Stronger Hair
1. Wash your hair the right way.
- Massage gently your shampoo onto your scalp – and by “gently” I mean really, REALLY gently. Creating too much friction will make your hair grease faster. We wouldn’t want that, would we?
- Your hair tips don’t need too much shampoo! I usually don’t touch them too much while washing my hair, shampoo will get to them when I’ll rinse my roots anyway. They don’t need any more than that.
- Try not to wash your hair too often, it will strip the natural oil out of your hair and leave your hair weak, but not only: your body is a wonderful thing and when you strip too much oil out of your hair, it will produce even more oil to compensate… Leaving your hair greasy as hell and leading you to wash it even more often.
One last thing about washing your hair: rinse your hair with cold water. It will seal your hair cuticles and make your hair shinier and healthier. I’m not saying that you should wash your hair with icy water, please don’t catch a cold. But know that hot water will damage your hair and make it grease faster.
2. Use heat with precaution.
That sounds logical, but I couldn’t write a post about healthy hair without mentioning this: heat is your hair’s worst enemy. I mean, it burns it!
I’m not only talking about flat or curling irons; I’m also talking about your hair-dryer, sun exposition, and hot water.
Try to limit heat on your hair and always use a heat protectant before using any heat, as well as before a sun exposition. Your hair will thank you.
3. Styling your hair outrageously is not good either.
The greatest combo of all time to get super damaged hair is daily heat + hairspray. Hairspray, foams and other styling products contain alcohol, which is another enemy to your hair. Alcohol dries out and damages your hair, leaving it weak, brittle and more prone to split ends. You don’t want that to happen to your hair, right?
Another bad ingredient that you will find in styling products is silicone. This material derived from plastic is great to make your hair look healthier, which means you will find it in most “oils” or “serums” that promesses to make your hair look like a dream.
The truth is, silicone wraps up your hair and hides the damages without healing them – I mean, silicon is PLASTIC, it doesn’t heal anything.
Your hair is smothering under a layer of silicone and is still as damaged as it was before, except you don’t see it anymore… Until you stop using it.
4. Give your hair what it needs.
Identify your hair needs and treat it! If you have dry hair, using oils can be a good solution for you. Click here to find out what oil would be best for your hair.
As mentioned earlier, if your hair is greasy, try to space out shampoos as much as possible. Dry shampoo is great to make your “no shampoo time” last longer.
If your hair is weak, breakable, if you have an important hair loss, if your hair is curly, etc… There are tons of different things you can do for all kind of hair. So know your hair, and know what it needs.
5. Eat healthy!
If you want healthy hair, you have to give it healthy food.
Everything that happens in your body is related and can be seeable from the outside, therefore if you have bad eating habits your hair and nails will suffer from it.
Hair and nails need nutrients like vitamins, iron and proteins, and no matter how many products, oils or cream you put on them, they will never be healthy if you don’t feed your body with healthy food first. Some of the best food for healthy hair include fish, nuts, seeds, vegetables, eggs, yogurt, beans and of course, water.